Basically my research is on the spatial planning and community development, disaster management, global and climate change, and humanitarian studies. I am also interested to see the cross cutting issues of climate change and disaster management at other subjects, gender, development planning, etc.
Some funding for research are from GTZ, Oxfam, DFID, UNDP, Provention Consortium, Indonesian Directorate of Higher Education as well as my current and former universities (ITB, ITC and Kyoto University).
Details of research and consultancy can be found as follows:
* 2011, Developing Earthquake Fatality Curves for Indonesian Cases, PI: Dr. I Wayan Sengara, Center for Disaster Mitigation, ITB.
* 2011, Bandung Urban Disaster Risks: Fire and Earthquake (with Sari Saraswati, Ferdy, Donald)
* 2011, Participatory Volcanic Risk Communication and Risk Assessment, Case Study of Mt. Papandayan, Garut District, Indonesia (with Mardian and Hadian)
*2011, PI: Remittance’s Role as Community Adaptation for Disaster Risk Reduction (Peran Remitan sebagai Adaptasi Masyarakat dalam Pengurangan Risiko Bencana) (Funded by Institute of Technology Bandung for 2011 Fiscal Year) (with Teti Armiati Argo, Asirin and Intania)
*2010, Researcher, Response Team for Rapid Assessment of Impacts from Mt. Merapi Volcano Eruption 2010, Institute of Technology Bandung
*2010, Consultant, Guideline for mainstreaming Climate Change Mitigation to Provincial Mid-Term Development Plan, funded by Paklim and GTZ. This project is trying to help Ministry of Environment, Indonesian Planning Agency (Bappenas) to assist provincial government to produce strategy for mainstreaming climate change mitigation and adaptation into their mid-term development plan.
* 2010, Researcher, Modeling Strategy for Emergency Response at Village Level as Guideline for Rural Planning. PI: Dr. Tubagus Furqon Sofhani, Research Group for Regional and Rural Planning, funded by Directorat of Higher Education, Indonesia. This research examines the role of government agencies at district, sub-district and villages in emergency response using a case of three villages in Cipendeuy Sub-District, Garut, West Java, Indonesia.
* 2010, Senior Researcher, Social Capital and Disaster Risk Reduction and Response, Case Study of West Sumatera, Indonesia. Team Leader: Patrick Vanhoebroek, Funded by International Federation of Red Cross (IFRC).In this research, social capital concepts (trust, social network, capital) were examined and the roles of this concept to risk reduction and recovery process. Case studies are from five districts in West Sumatera: Agam, Padang Pariaman, Pariaman City, Padang City and Pesisir Selatan.
* 2010, Consultant, Concept Paper of Linking Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation, funded by Paklim and GTZ. This essay aims to help decision makers at city level to understand how disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation have potentials to be conducted in a connected approach.
* 2010, Lead Consultant (Team Leader), Practical Review of DRR Investment Results in Recent Natural Disasters in Indonesia (case studies of 2009 West Java and West Sumatera Earthquakes), Oxfam Great Britain, Funded by DFID (Department for International Development), UK.Case studies are from Ciamis, Tasikmalaya, Tasik City, Garut, Bandung District in West Java and from Pariaman, Pariaman City and Padang in West Sumatra.
2009 – Before
* 2009 – Feb 2010, Researcher, Community Based Sand Mining Development Project in Mt. Merapi, Yogyakarta. Project Cooperation between Kyoto University, Japan and Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta and Yachiyo Engineering Consultant. Funded by Indonesian Ministry of Public Work (Kantor Menteri Pekerjaan Umum), loan from Japan Bank for International Cooperation.
* 2007 – 2008, Principal Investigator and Researcher, Participatory Approach for Communicating Risk in Volcanic Prone Communities, case study: Merapi Volcano, Yogyakarta, Institute for Forest and Environment. Funded by ProventionConsortium.Case study areas are at fourteen villages in Mt. Merapi.
* 2006 – 2009, Principal Investigator, Social Resilience of Communities prone to Volcanic Risks, Case Studies of Mt. Merapi, Indonesia. In this research, concepts of community resilience by Paton et al (2005) were examined and scrutinized for case study of Mt. Merapi community. In addition, evacuation analysis was conducted as well (see approach of Michael Lindell).
* 2005 – 2006, Researcher, Analysis of Flood Physical Vulnerability in Residential Areas, Case studies of Naga City, the Philippines.
* 2005 – 2006, Researcher, Strengthening Local Authorities in Risk Management, case study: Naga City, the Philippines, ITC, the Netherlands. Task includes preparation for carrying out elements at risk analysis, vulnerability analysis as well as conducting the analysis.
* 2003 – 2004, Urban Planning Researcher, Bandung Trust Advisory Group, Indonesia
* 2004, Statistical Analyst, Evaluation of Curriculum Implementation in Compassion Foundation, Indonesia, Indonesian Institute for Human Development (IIHD), Indonesia
* 2001 – 2003, Research and Development Staff, Tesaputra Adiguna Consultant, Indonesia
* 2003, Researcher, Indonesian Decentralized Environmental & Natural Resource Management (IDEN) and Bandung Trust Advisory Group (B-Trust), Co Project Environmental between Ministry of Indonesia and United Nation Development Programme (UNDP)